View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #30
special-K
Special Order

Re: Thought My Jimmy Was Big

I tore out the floor boards,beams,and joists,so the roof was supported by the 4x4s from the ground. I did one bay at a time because I was concerned about the free standing columns. I already saw the one I replaced that had fallen out. There were bad spots in the floor and the framing was sketchy. The beams running out to the columns from the house had 1" x 2" ledgers nailed to them and the joists (running into the beams) were notched to rest on them. But,they were all around 1/4" shy with just a few nails holding them. I elected to not use joist hangers to keep it looking older. I ran Ledger Loks through the beam and into the joists. Not sure if that meets code but am sure it will do the trick. I know they are rated for high shear strength. The steps were held up using pieces of steel angle hung down from above. Pretty hokey. So I built something for the stringers to run into up underneath. You can see,I drove the Jimmy to work. Remember the Jimmy?
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote