View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #31
NEWFISHER

Re: My 1950 dog hauling, trailer towing, daily driver Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Excellent information, thanks.

I noticed on the Sids website that he offers to modifiy your drop link, etc to minimize bump steer with the dropped axle. Did you go that route with yours?

I already have the tapered roller bearings in my disc brake conversation kit which I've not installed yet after getting "stuck" thinking about IFS. I just think in 20 years maybe we'll be regretting cutting frames in half for clip installs-I may be wrong. Yeah, I know an MII cross member is reversible.

I'll definitely do a king pin rebuild and modern tie rods if I use a drop. SEEMS like it would be fine; true not IFS "fine" but still really nice for most driving.
Dan do it! no regrets
I ordered all new steering rods, arms, pitman, drag etc from Sid for 2 reasons. It all comes from the same source new and I dont have to modify or blame a component if there was a problem or a feeling the way it drove when I was done. It far exceeded the ride and drive that I was used to or anticipating. It's been a balmy 50 degrees and INCHES of rain comming down since Sunday, but I am so tickled about how it drives I have been driving 75 miles round trip to work, running errands after etc.

I can tell you that I was on the fence on a IRS set up too. It's not much more money than doing what I did and getting EVERYTHING new, but it came down to how I feel about keeping the nostalgic / classic vehicle in the nostalgic and classic way. I'm not knocking those who go s-10 chassis, MII etc, those builds are super cool and I respect those who have made the change to modern technology but mine is what it is.....a 1950 Suburban with a solid axle, straight 6 and the original frame that I am preserving. Sure, tapered bearings and new style tie rods are "newer" stuff, so is our gasoline and oil, but they are safer than the old.

I would do the swap again on the next truck too. The Drop axle, steering components, springs, shackles etc are almost the same cost for everything, actually alot more than clipping one with a camaro/nova etc. and I am sure the ride when doing a MII or clip is like driving a new car, but if i wanted to drive a new car I would jump into one that we we have.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote