View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #134
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: how about some pics of 60-66 long beds

Welcome to the forum

You've done a nice job of rebuilding your truck. I really like these truck builds that have been in the family since new. Which part of the original cab did you keep? The roof and back, or the floor and firewall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp1964 View Post
New here.
Been working on restoring a 64' that was bought new by my grandparents, and is the same truck I got my license in back in 69' It had always been used on the farm by my uncle, and all of my brothers and myself learned how to drive with it. After it had been sitting on the farm for 23 years, I finally brought it home and decided I was going to do something with it. Never did I realize how expensive or difficult it would be. Just one month shy of 6 years, and nearly $13,000 in parts alone, I've gotten it nearly finished. They are never really finished as most of you know.
In 99' I had a bad crash with a scooter that nearly put me down, and this has been my "therapy". Made me get out of bed and out the door to get something done besides laying around and watching the wind blow and the grass grow. I've had a lot of help, and met some really great folks along the way.
I'd rather be driving this old truck, than owning a new one. Seems it has more character and soul than anything else. I like to think my grandparents are looking down as I drive it and smiling. Have made several trips to OKC(600 miles round trip) to show it to my uncle as it's been coming along, and recently he told me it looked better than when they brought it home new. I'm still grinning from that. Still have some small things to finish on it this winter, and hopefully by spring, I can actually say "DONE".
Seems there are some great ideas to be had from this site, and the changes I want to make to it yet may just get done a little bit easier with the help.
Now if I can just stay off the Web and quit looking for "orphans", my therapist may let me have some time off and a day pass out of here.
Tramp
Remember to keep your chin up. Makes a better target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp1964 View Post
I know of Pops. I like to get off the big road on the way to my Mom's when I go down that way, and run 66 Hiway over to Luther, then south to Harrah when I go. Looks like you've got a first rate crew working with you. As I said, there is always something that a person wants to do different to these old trucks. I have another in the barn that is going to be donating a front crossmember for disc brakes and power streering sometime this winter. And then it'll be getting warmer and time to think about A/C. They tell me with the proper medications and professional therapy I should eventually get over wanting to keep working on these old trucks. Doc sure has work cut out for him.
Tramp
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote