View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
PoDuck

Introduction and a couple issues with rewiring '62

I've lurked on this forum for a very long time, but never had a question I couldn't find the answer to from someone somewhere, so I have been forced to finally sign up and be social in hope that someone can help with what is truthfully a couple of really minor things.

I've owned my '62 for about 10 years now, and it has been pretty well behaved other than the wiring. I had an issue with my brakes one day and couldn't stop, so I pulled the emergency brake really hard before I hit someone, and I immediately noticed all the electricity escaping from my dash in the form of smoke.

When I got it home and looked under the dash to see the damage, I noticed that the harness had tons of splices in it, and much of the wiring was fried. I went through and fixed the wires, doing my own splicing and got it running, which it did well for another three years without incident, then my generator blew and that somehow fried some wires under the hood.

Deciding to replace the generator with an alternator, and realizing that I should probably replace and upgrade my wiring, I bought a classic update wiring kit from American Autowire. I thought I was being fairly conscious of where things were going while removing my old wiring. One thing it seems I wasn't so aware of was where the wires that go to the starter from the ignition switch (red and purple) go through the firewall.

The AAW main dash harness has a connector for them that seems to come out in the middle of the truck, about a 1-2 feet from the engine harness hole. Usually this is an indication that the connection is in that area. I see no hole to send the wires in from outside in that spot though.

Considering that they have a separate harness, and they aren't connected to the engine harness, I assume they have their own hole, but there also isn't a grommet in my grommet set that is specifically for those wires.

Inspecting the original harness hasn't helped me either, because the ignition wires were so hacked and spliced that it's almost impossible to get an idea of what GM originally did. Plus, I got a bit frustrated when wires wouldn't easily come out and I admit I went a little happy with the wire cutters.

Another question is what is the deal with the little wire coil on a circuit board type thing behind the heater box area on the right side? I assume it has something to do with the heater, but it is just sitting there hanging from a wire and not attached to anything solid. If power goes through it, I can't imagine it would be a very good idea to have it hanging where it may swing against something and ground it out.

Is it supposed to be mounted somewhere, and where is it supposed to fit into the wiring?

Anyway, nice to finally be vocal, and I appreciate any help.
PoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote