View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #360
Atommik

Re: 51 Chevy 1/2 ton, My S10 swap

I finished the running board brackets today. Look to be nice and solid!!

Also finished welding the cab mounts to the frame. I've been waiting until everything was totally fit up.

Made a gas filler neck using part of the s10 neck and the end of the original neck. It comes out just ahead of the left rear fender, low on the boxside panel. Re-used the original rubber grommet around the neck. Now where did I put that gas cap??!

Started welding the "caps " on the stake pockets I made. Only had time to get one about half way done!

Learned a valuable safety lesson today. I decided to add another bolt thru the box side into the box floor frame for a little extra strength. So I had my truck on a low lift at work. It goes up about 4 feet. As soon as I unbolted the 2nd rear wheel and set it down on the floor, the truck came up off the rear lift pads and started teetering on the front lift arms. (I had moved the forward lift arms further back to have better access to weld the running board brackets on, thus drastically changing the center of gravity on the truck.) I was able to hold the back end of the truck down with one arm while I grunted and groaned and managed to get one of the wheels back on enough to get one lug nut finger tight. I was lucky/watched over today!! I was safely to the side but the truck would have tipped forward and taken out the front end and my tool box!! Took about 1/2 hour to get my heart rate down!!
Attached Images

Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote