View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 AM   #24
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Differential questions

Your C10 has the Eaton HO32 differential that was used from second series '55 thru '62 in the 1/2 tons. Those do look basically the same as the Eaton HO52/72 used in the C20's up thru '72.

If it is just the center section that is bad in your differential, you could try and find another good 3rd member and just change it, That would be the easiest and cheapest to get you back on the road. Alhtough you'll likely still be stuck with 3.90 gears, which aren't very highway friendly.

The next step would be a '63-'64 12 bolt. Those will have the same panhard bar mount, but the trailing arm mounts are a little closer together. It is possible that threr is enough movement ion your trailing arms, to get them to bolt up. Otherwise, the trailing arm mounts will need to be cut off and welded back on at the correct distance and pinion angle.

Then there is the '65 to early '70 12 bolts. The same situation with the trailing arm mounts. But these differentials use a shorter panhard bar. They can be used, but the panhard bar will need a slight bend in one end to be able to bolt it up to the frame bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Ok, things are getting weird... my VIN says I've got a C10, but according to the pics of the rear diff and my LMC catalog, I'm thinking I've got a 3/4 ton rear. Can anyone help me ID it? Unfortunately, the truck is at my dad's house so I'm doing the best I can with pics, see below:

(Yes that's a cardboard gasket and, yes, it was dry when I took the cover off)
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote