View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
knotorious

My First Suburban...New to the Forum!

Hey guys....just picked up this 1988 2500 series... Looks like someones grandpa used it to pull a lightweight camper (based on the small electric pigtail and receiver hitch) Interior appears all original (no tears or rips...just some faded carpet) with headliner all still intact. A GM factory replacement 454 was installed about 18K miles ago... It passed CA smog today with flying colors. A few usual suspects....like the tailgate glass is stuck down..and a small spot of cancer right off the drip rail between front and rear passenger doors.

SO what do I want to do with her?? Well...shes gonna be my gear hauler to get me to and from shows as I play upright bass in a old school honky tonk band. I have a color scheme chosen for paint.....but I am gonna hold off on that right now in favor of some suspension mods... I want to get her down low. I had a bagged 66 stepside recently that I did a flip on...and I actually like the bagged effect... I had a static lowered 67 GMC fleetside when I was younger.....and the ability to raise the 66 up to go over bumps and drive way tapers was AWESOME. Which brings me to my primary question for you guys now...

Whats the best route to take to lower this beast? I have some guys telling me to convert everything to 5 lug...while others say the truck is too big and heavy to trust to a 5 lug set up... I want her down pretty low....but I dont want to have to DRASTICALLY reconfigure my cargo area.... A small raised area for pumpkin might be ok...but I dont want to lose the use of the cargo space....and I wanna try to keep my costs down...as i am not operating on an unlimited budget like it appears some owners on here are...LOL

If I do stay 8 lug....what would you suggest for a cool wheel type? My color scheme will require whatever wheels I go with to be mirror black powder coated.
Attached Images

knotorious is offline   Reply With Quote