View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Crossover steering question

Quote:
Originally Posted by b454rat View Post
You do not get bumpsteer with crossover. This is why one would go to crossover is to eliminate it with stock push-pull steering. Anything over 6" should have it...
Really? If you say so It would be interesting to hear how many complaints ORD gets from customers after they installed crossover steering. Believe me, they get a lot. In fact, if you look at their website it does not say anything where crossover corrects or prevents bump steer, it is intended to address geometry shortcomings under major flex. Even ORD will tell you that point blank.

It says: The straight axle GM trucks suffer from some serious steering problems, one of the biggest is due to poor geometry. The factory GM steering will fail to steer the truck when you're in twisted offroad situations, in fact, there are many times when the steering box is all the way to lock and the tires are pointed straight! Our solution to this is a "crossover steering" system where the draglink runs side to side instead of front to back. This dramatically improves the steering geometry and makes turning to the axle stops possible under all conditions.

The reality is crossover works great for a dedicated trail rig, no doubt about that, but can be annoying to drive on daily basis or for long distances. There will always be a success story from someone who will pop up that did crossover without getting any bump steer. Yayy! Good for them. Unfortunately, the other 9 guys that did the swap at the same time got it. I’ve driven a Tahoe with a SFA swap and ORD crossover steering where it exhibited noticeable bump steer. Nothing that one couldn’t live with for a short ride but it was noticeable. In fact, this Tahoe was built by an engineer that also doesn't totally buy into crossover steering for a non-dedicated trail rig either but had no choice but to use it on his SFA swap. His Tahoe was on the cover of Peterson’s 4wheel and Off-Road in January. I've also driven several full size vans that have been converted to 4x4 (Sportsmobile type vans) and all of them had bump steer although some worse than others.

I am not saying crossover is a bad thing, but not an essential needed for an average wheeler. Dedicated trail rig, sure....it wouldn't hurt. . The world seems to think Dana 60’s, 14 bolts, lockers, and crossover steering are required to be able to drive over the curb in their driveway because of stuff they have read in cash cannon build threads. Meh
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote