View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #135
67L30WGN

Re: Windshield gasket blues: Precision supplies Steele and possibly Soff Seal

As mentioned in my earlier post, after about 6 months of being water tight, water began to enter between the glass and the gasket along the bottom (not between the gasket and the pinch weld). For insurance, a bead of sealant was applied under that lip (between glass and seal) around the circumference after installing the glass, but it let go of the rubber after the six months. After reading all of the threads and viewing the video since my last post, there seem to be two possibilities for why my freshly installed windshield leaks and they would be the windshield or the gasket. The gasket was from Steele (purchased in 2008 and stored until used) and it installed beautifully. Both the seal and '72 trim lay absolutely perfectly flat, no puckering or stretching whatsoever. Looking at the gasket from inside the truck, while I do see a change in shape at the right place, I don't see a defined separate inner lip as shown in the video, so wonder if that tells us who made the gasket for Steele and how critical this feature is? As for the windshield itself, my glass shop used an AP Tech Lamisafe windshield. Are these known to be thinner/smaller than OEM? Answers to these two questions will help me decide if I need to start over with a new windshield, gasket, or both.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 HT
1962 Nash Metropolitan Convertible (Wife's car)

Last edited by 67L30WGN; 02-22-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: clarity
67L30WGN is offline   Reply With Quote