View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #300
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Rudy, Thanks. I put the miscellaneous rusty-as-hell bolts into a plastic ex-frosting container overnight (it held up well) and they came out clean as a whistle! I rinsed and dried them and the container, then put them back in the container and sprayed Gibbs oil in there liberally. I'll leave them in there until I reassemble it all.

Here's the backside of the grill (grille?) after the Rust Reformer dried 24 hrs and; even though you can't really tell, I sprayed the backside with Rustoleum Hammered Black. It hides minor imperfections and I'll spray the front with Rustoleum Chrome. If it looks cheesy I'll respray it in an off white - you guys tell me if it looks like ass. I want honest opinions. I've had pretty good results with their Brite Mettallic Aluminum before and was told the chrome is even better. We'll see.

Here's the Apron. I shot it in Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer (red oxide, sorry forgot to snap a picture) and immediately painted it Sage green in satin finish. These photos aren't all that accurate color-wise, but it IS a little more mint than I'd prefer. I was using Duplicolor Self Etching primer just for the green color cause EVERYbody's is gray or red oxide. But the green fades badly in the sun. So I thought I'd try this. Jury is out on the color.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-12-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote