View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #39
coralhead

Re: 1952 3/4 Ton Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanixman View Post
I played with it, not much play, How can I loosen it up? some penatrating lube and rocking it back and forth? What exactly does it do? I followed it through a line to the cab, where I assume it goes to the wiper motors.
I used PB Blaster and a propane torch. It needs to turn freely. The spring on the end holds it in position to direct exhaust around the intake to help heat the fuel vapors until the engine warms up. As the enginge warms the spring will be affected by the engine heat and let the counterweight on the opposite end redirect the exhaust bypassing the intake manifold. you can check its operation buy using a hot air gun to make sure the spring is functioning properly.

On a side note. Sprucing up the engine is nice but I think you should make sure it is running properly before you shine it up. When I purchased my truck the PO installed a newer 235/ painted it up to match the truck scheme, changed out the gaskets and installed. I think that the For Sale sign was installed after he finally got the engine started and found it was completely shot. I bought the truck and pulled the engine and ended up spending $1300 on machine shop labor and all new inners minus the crank. Lifters that were apart and cam flopping in the journals.

Not to be a downer but I think you should get the engine running and see what you got before putting a lot of time in making it look nice.

From the movie "Christine" "You know Pepper, You can't polish a turd" even though I think the "myth busters" actually did.

Keep up the good work and stay focused.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote