View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #171
DD1

Thumbs up Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

So, today I actually got some work done. My work was interrupted b/c I had to visit a friend in the hospital and go to a wake (for a different person). Yesterday, I intended to get some work done, went shopping for some stuff I needed, and ended up buying a spot welder at Harbor Freight. I realized I need one, and it was only a matter of time before I broke down and bought it.

So, instead of going one step forward today, I kinda went one step back. But I think my overall decision was a good one. It started out with me not liking the damage that was done to the hole where the cab gets bolted to the frame. It migrated to my deciding to replace a portion of the floor around the hole. However, I think I went about it the smart way.

I have problems in general cutting straight lines, and cutting stuff to the right size. So, I cut out the portion of the front floor panel that I want to use. Then when I started cutting up the actual cab, I started small and cut out small pieces at a time. The piece I cut out of the cab is no where near the size of the piece I cut from the panel. However it leaves me the option of patching in a smaller piece of the floor panel if I wish to do so.

The other good thing about this is it allows me the opportunity to properly weld the cab support to the metal piece between the floor and the support. There is probably an actual name for it, but you will see what I am talking about in the photo. I was kind of concerned about how secure the cab support was, and now I will at least know it is done right.

Any tips and tricks anyone can share about using the spot welder? Dan, I think you have one, right?

Any tips and tricks about doing spot welds with the MIG welder anyone can share? There are places I need to spot weld where the spot welder cannot reach. My plan was to drill a hole in one piece of metal, and use the MIG welder over the hole.

I have been making a point of spending at least 1 hour each night working on the truck. So I have definitely gotten back into it, and I hope you will be seeing a lot more posts and progress in the coming weeks.

Let me know what you think. Am I doing the right thing here, or getting myself deeper into a mess? At least I am getting practice for the other side which absolutely needs the front floor panel replaced.

Oh, and Dan, it seems like your advice about cutting the kick panel in half will work pretty well. I did a quick test fit, and after a little shaving here and there, I think it will be fine. I got sidetracked with cutting the floor up some more, but I am hopeful that it will all be good.
Attached Images

DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote