View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #74
rusty_67

Re: 'Wintergreen' 1969 GMC Build

Small Update. The LT1 is a bit different in that the harmonic damper is neutral balanced, and there is a hub that is pressed on to the nose of the crank that you bolt the damper to. As it turns out, throughout the short 5 year time span that they made the LT1, they used 4 different hub lengths. Since I am changing the front accessories over to the corvette setup, the original caprice hub wouldn't work (different length means the accessory belt wouldn't line up). So the cheapest route ended up being to go with an aftermarket piece.

So I pulled off the old one.

Then with my homemade damper installer (ready rod, various washers, a used grinding disc that just happened to be within arms reach, and a nut), I pressed on the new hub.

Since the hub is pressed on, a key is not required, but the crank does have a keyway and the aftermarket hub does as well, so I added a woodruff key just for a bit of insurance. Typically just the guys who supercharge add the key, due to increased belt tension. Here is the hub installed.

Its a nice loooking piece, kind of a shame I have to install the damper over top. Oh well...

So not much of an update, but hopefully more soon. I've been working on brake lines. I bought a set of pre-bent lines off craigslist for 20 bucks, couldn't go wrong. The guy selling them said he ordered them for his blazer and when they came the box said 1969 gmc/chevy pickup lwb (or something like that). When I went to install them everything was going well until I got to the piece that runs the length of the truck. It came up about 10in to short. So maybe this kit was actually for a swb? Oh well, can't complain too much for $20. I just went to crappy tire and picked up short piece and cut it to make up the extra length.

Also working on getting the waterpump installed on the motor. I went electric so there is a bit of work involved in modifying the pump housing. More pics to come.
rusty_67 is offline   Reply With Quote