View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
TravisMartin
Curmudgeon of Poor Means

Re: L29 (Vortec 454) in Square?

Mine is going to be a weekend toy 2WD, so I think I'll go with electric fans. I've about come full circle and decided to use the L19 (TBI 454) I already have instead of an L29. I really like the L29; had one in a 99 Suburban. But the TBI will look almost factory and, like I said, I already have it...I bought a rough '95 C2500 that runs superbly and uses no oil, no leaks, stays cool, everything you could ask in a streeter. Should be a great donor for my '78 shorty. It was an original 454 truck, but the engine had been replaced with a small block when the friend I got it from bought it...he'd had it since 1986. Doubt there's any chance of finding the original.

My brother & I retrofitted a 91 TBI 350 & 700R4 in his 84 (he bought it new) last summer and I was pleased with the way it turned out. We even put the electronic speedo cluster out of the 91 suburban in it. On the 84, the hole for the harness to the ECM is already in the firewall; it was used for the electronic spark control on the original 305. I'll have to cut the corresponding hole in my '78, as I'm figuring to mount the ECM over the glove box as on the late TBI squarebodies.

I like the way your truck looks. Thanks for the help.
TravisMartin is offline   Reply With Quote