View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #178
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

Ok, here is my steering wheel part of the project. I am paying attention to this now, because when it gets to that point, I want to be able to install it and not worry about it. Also, as I mentioned before, I want to make the old cab and frame driveable the way it is now.

In September 2011, I was in FL for vacation; it was shortly after I had gotten the truck and it had not quite hit me how much work I would be doing. I also had not discovered this forum as yet. My primary source for parts was Craigslist, and I was buying stuff quite anxiously. I purchased an automatic steering column for the truck from someone. I probably paid too much for it, not the mention the added cost of packing it and the charge for extra luggage on my flight home.

Anyway, so I realized that some of the arms were broken and it needed a little work, but it did not seem that big of a deal. Most of these parts seem pretty cheap on LMC. I could switch some parts over from the existing column as they seem to have some parts in common. I might just get new parts as it is easier - I won't have to clean up the old stuff - and I would like to try and sell the original steering column.

Anyway, I mentioned in one of my original threads that I got the truck from some kids that put a Camaro 305 engine and the TH350 transmission in. I think they also added the steering wheel, and the parts I see on LMC do not match some of the parts I actually have. I am trying to figure out what I need to get and what I should keep.

Should I get a different steering wheel or keep what I have? Can I attach a horn to the wheel I have? Is it any good?

It's pretty obvious, but the one on the left is the one I bought. The LMC pic is from 2 pages of their catalog that I pieced together. I think I am missing part #8 and #10 on the top of the page, the Canceling Cam and the horn Contact kit.

Please let me know if you think I am missing anything, what your thoughts are on the steering wheel, should I get another one, or keep this one?
Attached Images

DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote