View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #143
Big Rat

Re: Big Rat's 1979 C10 High School Hot Rod Restooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
If you've not got the resources to blast them, just degrease and paint them. They'll look good for many years. This will be a fair weather driver right ? Trucks that sit in the garage most of the time don't deteriorate.
I wish I had a blast cabinet, but I don't. Absolutely will be only driven when dry. This thing has paid it's dues and seen enough Utah salt and snow, now it's time for it to not deal with rot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
I built a little glass bead blaster cabinet with a 55 gallon barrel. With glass bead you can blast remove rust and not harm the metal. All for under $50
I would wrap the spindles with tape just as a precautionary measure though.
Tell me more about how to build said device my friend...

Quote:
Not to get off track but what are the plans for the other two critters out in the field?
The '69 will be getting the frame off, lwb to swb, street rod, and big block(big rat) treatment. My '79 was a great starting project for me as it wasn't in too bad of shape and has a good learning curve. The '69 is in pretty rough shape. It is going to need A LOT of sheet metal work. I really want to salvage as much of the original metal as I can. I have many many memories with my grandpa(R.I.P) and also with my dad, in that truck. As silly as it may sound, I want to preserve as much of the original for sentimental reasons. Now the Nova, 502+ c.i. of asphalt punishment. It is an Oregon car so the body is excellent but I don't have many parts for it. It will be by far the most expensive to build. I needed to get my fix sooner than later, which is why I rolled out the Nova, and rolled in the '79. Oh and by the way, that field is my back yard! I just need to mow is all!

'69 C20 - Grandpa's 'ol truck
'70 Nova - Birthday present from the wife. She's a KEEPER!
'79 C10 - High school hot rod, BUILD THREAD
Big Rat is offline   Reply With Quote