View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #144
gerfunken

Re: Scott's 1972 Chevy K-20. A place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerfunken View Post
I'm trying to get a better understanding of what the problem is myself (not that I'm doubting him in any way.) In looking at the builds here, it doesn't seem that that assembly has been a problem for any of you, but most of the issues arise on the right side.

I'd seen the pump on eBay already. I also found a lead that led me to RockAuto to validate, but a 1989 Chevy P30 vehicle does come with a 3.9 Turbo Diesel engine option. They have the steering pump numbers, but they don't have any listing on the actual adapter.

The other thing I've found is that some commercial applications of the 5.9 did offer a steering pump, but those get even pricier. Example

So, I've done as much homework as I can on this tonight, send Randy an e-mail and we will see what he comes back with tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your insight & information, as a Cummins newbie, I really do appreciate it.
Ok, so I got the scoop today, as I went down to the shop, snapped a couple of pictures, picked up the old 350, SM-465 & NP-205 along with some parts....

Randy's concern isn't the length or width of the PS pump. The concern that he has is that the fittings on the pump exit to the left, directly into the frame rail, and are causing an issue. His initial thought was that if he can remove the vacuum pump, and move the PS assembly forward, he'll pick up a little clearance as the frame bends back down towards the front.

So, the question (and I'll do a little bit of research myself this weekend) is: Is there an appropriate PS pump for the Dodge that has the fittings pointed either straight back or down?

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote