Thread: 55.2-59 55-57 one piece windows
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #220
OrrieG

Re: 55-57 one piece windows

Finally got the fabrication and mock phase done and wanted to offer some comments. First thanks for blackdiesel and grimss for the original documentation and everyone else that has contributed to this thread.

1. When tacking in the modfied front channel, make sure your latch will fit. I got mine out to far and had to back track on the first door.
2. I tried to get it to work without modifying the latch side track but could not, the window kept hanging up on the front pivot point.
3. I had to move the front channel lower bolt holes about 3/8" farther towards the front than the dimensions given in the video to get the last 3 inches of drop to drop easier. Like diesels Dad said, "your results may vary".
4. I ended up pulling the chrome trim off my channels. I worked for 15 minutes on the first corner trying to do what they do in 3 minutes. Problem was the chrome on the channel I got was chinched on pretty tight and would not slide. After pulling it off it was a piece of cake.

Now one question for the group. It looks like I am going to have to shim out the channel on the sides to get it flush with the opening and cover the glass. Did anyone else encounter this and did you just use the 3M adhesive to fill the gap or something else? If the 3m adhesive dries relatively hard then it will work, if not I was going to get some high density house door jamb weatherstripping and use it (looks like I will need something about 1/8" thick).
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote