View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #193
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Still here buddy. Hardesty has some great advice for you. .024 solid wire, slow down and either turn the heat up or wire speed down if it is popping or globbing, the 75/25 Ar/Co2 setting should be 25 CFH when your on the trigger so it is typically set to 30ish when you're not on the trigger. Make sure you are actually getting flow out of th tip and clean the tip regularly. If you are using an extension cord make sure it is the same wire gauge as the welder and or the house wiring and just long enough to get around whenre you need it, (dont use a 50 ft 18 ga extension cord). I have a 12/3 cord that is 12' when needed for my Hobart 110v. I noticed personally when I used the copper weld primer that I had to increase the heat but maybe I sprayed it on a little too thick. I have also heard many complaints about HF mig wire. If you are using HF wire you might want to try something else, hobart,miller, or lincoln wire.
Hey Dan,

How are you doing? How's the littlest one coming along?

Thanks for the additional tips. I will stop by the local welding shop and see if I can get another brand of wire, or maybe I'll check Amazon first since they sell almost everything.

My wiring is pretty decent; I have an extension cord that is only about 10-15 feet, and it's 12 gauge wire. While my garage is detached, it's not that far of a run to the house, and that is also 12 gauge wire underground, so I think I am in good shapre there.

I'll try all of your suggestions out over the next couple of days and see what happens.

Much appreciated! Thanks!

PS - Found this truck on Ebay with a rusted frame. Would love to get it and just transfer the cab. But my wife would give me a hard time about spending the cash, and she hates the color, so I would still need to re-paint it. Would also need to go through the hassle of selling the engine and transmission as I already have a rebuilt one of each.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ORS:1123#v4-37
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote