View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #284
SS Tim

Re: SPID Picture thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
LOL! Here's one to keep SS Tim busy tonight - Note "label" is spelled wrong on SPID 2/2 - BTW what's a "snotters-radiator"?
Pete,
Either you have done a very deep background search or lucked out. My dad drove for Anchor Motor Freight for many years delivering new GM vehicles to dealers. At one time I had the driver's copy of the shipper for every car he delivered.

Anchor ran short nose 90/9000 Chevy and GMC trucks that were heavily modifed by the upfitter that also manufactured the trailers. From the SPID it appears that the pusher axle was also installed by them and not a factory installation.

"SHUTTERS-RADIATOR" are thermostatic slats (like window blinds)used to control cooling airflow through the radiator. These trucks were used in temperatures from -30*F to a 100*F or so. They had maximun cooling with a block heater to warm them up (actually barely) and shutters to keep from overcooling the engines.

Here is a picture I grabbed a while back of probably a Tarrytown based Anchor Motor Freight rig.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote