View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #1176
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Today was kinda sucky. Hotter than hell. Humidity was oppressive. Things were just not going well in the garage.

Had some sandblasting to do, but the humidity was causing problems with the grit. Too moist of air. I got the bumper done but little else. Got the driver side vent window disassembled, but the glass came out too and I don't have the tape to get that back in. I needed to spray some stuff black, but the only paint I had was some rustoleum, which I hate to use cause it seems to take days to cure and it runs too easy.

Then I took the Jimmy out for a short cruise, but it started sputtering and I ended up coasting into a gas station. I start pumping gas in but its leaking on the ground. I get down to see wth is going on now and find that the filler hose into the tank has come loose. So I'm on mu knee reaching to hold the tube into the hose at the tank as well as I can and reaching up to hold the pump nozzle. I get gas in alright, but now the engine doesn't want to turn over. Two problems. First the starter is heat soaked. Second, the battery is weak. Not sure I'm getting a good charge out of the alternator. So I sit and wait for the starter to cool, but I can't get it running, so I call the wife for a jump start. It starts up alright when the fresh gas finally gets to the carb and no problem on the drive home.

But I was overheated, probably somewhat dehydrated, a bit disappointed and embarrassed at the situation, and just not in a good place mentally. Got home, took a shower, got something to drink, and found some perspective.

When my C-10 got painted it was a month before I could get it together enough to drive. It was about a year before I had all the bugs worked out of it to trust it for more than a 15 minute drive. This one I drove into and out of the booth and have been slapping parts on it ever since. I expect issues, but it's still disappointing when they show up.
hgs_notes is online now   Reply With Quote