View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #274
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

While the sealing technology for the Gen I small blocks is inferior to the newer models, gasket manufacturers have done a good job of addressing some of the deficiencies. I use a one piece pan gasket from Milodon as well as the expensive ribbed, metal sandwich style valve cover gaskets. Where there might be a chance the stock gasket could leak, I use RTV. I lightly tighten the part until the RTV has a chance to setup, then torque to spec. Teflon tape and Loctite round out my arsenal of leak stoppers. But in the end, there's no such thing as a perfect trap, so eventually there will be some seepage. Just hopefully not at startup.

The color reminds me of heavy cream like we used to skim off of raw cow's milk. It's not a bright white at all, so it should be a bit more manageable. I have extra of the color in case of a hiccup. It looks great up against the Toxic Orange Pearl that will be the body color. I plan to paint the pulleys, harmonic balancer and oil pan that color for contrast. Should have some more pictures in a few days.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote