Thread: SiX-fo SuBuRbAn
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #179
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: SiX-fo SuBuRbAn

well, got the windshield in!
It is quite a story....
I ended up with a precision gasket, but the only one available at the time was for the chrome trim... that was fine , because I have a couple sets of trim...

I tried to do it myself, but could not get the gasket to even stay on the w/s, much less get the trim in.

I called up a local glass guy I know, and had him come out to put it in, he brought 2 helpers, and that made all the difference in the world for getting the gasket on, and the trim in.

they put the w/s in the opening, and started, got the rope pulled, got the center set, started on the sides, and the center popped out, then the whole thing fell out...

so they tried one more time with the trim in, and had the same problem....
he asked me if the opening had been compromised, but I did not tell him about all the work that has been done. ( I had a feeling that if I told him about the work they might have given up right there), I just showed him how I had cut the old gasket into chunks, and set the window in the opening.

so he tried once with out the trim, he said if they got it then they would try to get the trim in , but not to count on it...

same problem, got it about halfway in, and then everything fell apart...

now I was really getting worried that I might have to cut up and reshape the whole opening....

he gave one more try... this time they put the gasket in the opening, 3 of us held it in place, and he lubed the heck out of the w/s and started to work it in....
long story short, about 40 minutes later and after a lot of bad words the w/s just popped in!
no trim, but I didn't really want it in the first place... the glass does fit, and the opening is correct, it was just a real MF to get in.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote