View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #17
mr48chev

Re: 1955-57 frame swap

Actually you spend your work one way or the other either doing a frame swap or suspension swap as neither is a simple bolt on operation.

Having been involved in several subframe swaps, they always include a lot more fitting and fussing with the front end sheet metal than the actual fitting and welding of the subframe.

Frame swaps require fitting the Cab, nose and bed to the frame, Subframe swaps require fitting the nose to the subframe and crossmember swaps usually call for some trimming of the inner fender panels to clear. There really isn't any free lunch with any of them.

If you want a low truck with big rims tucked up inside the fenders the frame swap isn't going to work too well with most of the popular rims for these trucks. Both the trucks akdg87 and 57Toybox showed sit up stock height or a tad heigher and don't have deep rims on them. Both look great the way they sit too.

If I had a good stock frame I'd still go with it but with no frame or a frame that is damaged beyond reasonable repair a frame swap makes a lot of sense.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote