View Single Post
Old 12-10-2003, 04:40 AM   #12
CliffB

Thanks for the answers

Thanks GM for your post and wishes. The only difference I notice is that the steering feel is better on the 2 wheel drive. The 4x4 feels a bit detached by comparison. Not loose, just different, probably the solid axle vs. the 2wd. Have fun with the big block. I have a 67 Chevelle 396 motor I couldn’t resist that I used to think would be a good motor for the pickup, but with a finished strong 350 available in the 71, it looks like the 396 motor will not get into the pickup. I couldn’t build a motor out of it for what the 71 cost.

Thanks Scrub, da-burb and Yukon Jack for your posts as well. I’m glad the wheels will fit. I like the old style. I’m glad my large part collection will fit also. The 72 paint was done when it was about 10 years old and is thin in places. I’ll give it a great detail for sure and bring it to the best it can be.

I found a post that showed price ranges by vehicle condition or Class Scale. It described condition as I copy below for Class 3 and 4 and it seemed to me the 72 is a somewhat better than a Class 4 in originality and recent mechanicals.

It showed pricing for 1970 - 72 as: 10,025 Class 1, 7,425 Class 2, 5,100 Class 3, 2,100 Class 4, 1,500 Class 5

3) VERY GOOD or CLASS 3 Condition: A completely operable original; or an older restoration showing wear; or amateur restoration. Also a combination of a well-done restoration and good condition original; or a complete, partly restored original with NOS parts. All areas presentable and serviceable inside and out.

4) GOOD or CLASS 4 Condition: A derivable vehicle needing little or no repair to be functional; or a deteriorated restoration; or a poor amateur restoration.

I had been considering trying to get in the mid 3K range. A local collector and part seller who has a warehouse full of 67-72 trucks and parts has seen the truck several times and suggested I ask mid 4s if I heard him right. That did seem a little optimistic. Perhaps prices in Northern California might be a bit higher than elsewhere? I don’t know. Any California readers have thoughts on this?

I am having a hard time considering letting the 72 go as it drives like a dream, pulls a 9,000 pound church trailer like a mule and has been a lot of fun, but with 6 other vehicles besides the 71 and 72, I can’t convince myself I need both or can justify it.

Thanks again for your answers.

Cliff