View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #8308
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Sometimes I wonder if we should have a "What did your truck do to you today?" thread.

Having recently setup a one piece oil pan gasket in my '78, I picked up a one piece fel pro oil pan gasket for my '72. It was either that, or start putting a mini-pad under my truck, as it was getting progressively worse.

Thought it would be a simple process. Jacked the front end up, jack stands, remove the oil pan bolts and slide the pan out, right? Heh!

After an hour of fighting with the oil pan, it won. Came inside and did a search on the forum to learn it's not as straight forward as on my '78.

Back out to remove the engine mount bolts. First one was out after fifteen minutes of one-to-two clicks at a time on the ratchet. Move to the other side only to encounter a fuel pump with no other way. Three fuel pump bolts later, I was educated on that top bolt under the AC compressor that was next to impossible to get. Thirty minutes later, I had a fuel pump free and started on the passenger side motor mount.

Jacked the engine up a few inches at most, and the oil pan fell free on it's own. Quickly discovered I had picked up the wrong fel pro kit. Wife is out of town, so my truck was only transportation. Son stopped by and I used his truck to go back up to AutoZone with oil pan in hand (GM Crate motor).

By that time, it was dark. Truck still on stands, brought everything else inside. Get to reverse it all for even more fun in the morning!

Would have never imagined something that *should* be so simple, would require a partial frame off restoration to just to accomplish.