View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #1277
McMurphy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Ok guys this entire update is going to be long winded, so bear with me.
2-sum years ago when I started thinking of getting into a truck build I was looking at builds in various stages of progress, when one caught my eye and sparked my imagination. It was a light colored truck with the head light grill out, and that space behind where the grill would go was painted flat black. From that I sparked the idea of doing hideaway headlights on one of these in a way that I have not seen done yet.

I will be showing you guys my progress in chronological order, instead of any logical sense of how this should have, or could have gone together. The reason being is that I am no engineer by any sense of the word.

I was lucky enough to score a spare grill from my local bone yard that was in awesome condition, to augment my original which had survived very well also.

This first photo is the spare grill laying in place as I started the measurements for a close to original positioning look for the end result.
Name:  27sep13 (2).jpg
Views: 845
Size:  48.0 KB
Then it was removal of the headlight support:
Name:  27sep13 (11).jpg
Views: 833
Size:  42.6 KB
And the sectioning of the old headlight bezel frame:
Name:  27sep13 (12).jpg
Views: 840
Size:  39.1 KB
Then it was a matter of bending and massaging the ends to get the look I was after. I also wanted to keep as much indigenous metal as possible to the items I was working with.
Name:  27sep13 (15).jpg
Views: 832
Size:  49.2 KB
Here is initial concept in the first stage. The center section was saved and the ends which were no longer useful were used as a test subject. Here you see the folded end piece I cut off laying on top of the 1996 Cougar head light assembly door. I went with these Cougar set ups as they seemed to be pretty simple in construction, plentiful, and not as expensive on E-bay as others I looked at.
Name:  27sep13 (18).jpg
Views: 847
Size:  53.9 KB

More tomorrow, if I get out of the garage early enough... right now dinner is getting cold, and wife is getting cranky about it !!!

LOL

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote