View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #32
bj383ss

Re: 64 C10 Stepside "Jaybird"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Nice start, the rust does not look to bad, mines worse for sure. I hope to start back on mine after the holidays...
Its really not that bad. I have see a lot worse on this forum so hopefully I can get it all welded back in right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Great progress on the metal work. I'll be doing the same in the spring. I'm interested to see how your Top Banana parts will fit. They make nice parts. Also...I did my steering wheel also. I used JB weld to fill in the cracks after sanding and haven't had any issues yet on the repair.
Thank you. This is my first time at metal work on an auto body and welding. I am woodworker so this is all kinda of the darkside. I read your post on the steering wheel repair. Will tackle that once my vacation is over.

Its funny you mention the parts I was test fitting all of the driver's side this morning. I ran into some problems. The first is the front hole in the floorboard section does not line up with the kick panel and the bottom fender bracket hole. Its off by a lot. Even when you have the parts off the truck the holes don't even come close to lining up.
Name:  DSCN7623.jpg
Views: 2792
Size:  49.9 KB

I got the holes in the front brace to lineup and this is what is important. I can re drill the hole in the floorboard.
Name:  DSCN7624.jpg
Views: 2167
Size:  39.3 KB

I also have a big gap between the floorboard patch and the firewall. I think I can pull this together and then fill it with weld.
Name:  DSCN7625.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  34.5 KB

The other problem I see is the kick panel does not fit good against the A-pillar where it has the idention on the inside. The A pillar has a curve to it. I am replacing the A-pillar but I have not ordered it yet so I will wait until I get it before I do any welding. Hopefully the kick panel will fit better with the aftermarket A-pillar.
Name:  DSCN7626.jpg
Views: 2129
Size:  39.3 KB

I know these parts aren't perfect to the original but it looks like I can make them all work right. You see my oops on the right of the picture. Even after careful measuring I cutout too much there in the front.

I had planned on pulling the bed today but after fighting with the step and fender on the driver's side for 2 hours I called an early day. I had to cut nearly every bolt off. After 5 straight days working on her my body has finally given out. Hope to get back on it on Friday. We are having some pretty cold temps come in so that will help cool it down some.

Name:  DSCN7630.jpg
Views: 2119
Size:  50.0 KB