View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #21
INSIDIOUS '86

Re: Want to swap a 305 for a..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBumbleBeeTruck View Post
Ok great. Could I just pull one from a scrap yard? Can you tell what gears are in it from the outside?

Just curious, would you be able to smoke the tires some with 260? The 305 can't even lay a foot of rubber hardly, and that's when the roads are wet!

Thanks
My buddy Tim had a 260hp crate 350 in his truck and some 3:73 gears with a posi. It could still light them. My friend nick bought it for $500 and is paying my to build a vortec 383 for his truck. His truck has a replacement 305 with low comp pistons and small cam, its just like yours. Worse than the le9 305 which I think was rated to 240hp as I recall. In my truck I have the H.O LB9 305 from an 85 iroc these motors are the same motors with factory flat top high comp pistons, only diff was the cams and intakes. Torque/hp and carb/tpi respectively.

From what it sounds like your engine is either extremely worn or has a real bad tune. Factory these things had like 4* initial timing and a stupid slow advance curve. Time the motor to 12* and it will respond. Get one of those mr gasket recurve kits and use only the medium springs. That should wake up that 305 if its the factory le9.

I would get that crate 350 and then order a crane 266h10 cam and lifter kit or if you want a little more go power a comp cams 268he- not the xe series cam though. Add a performer or performer rpm intake and a 600 holley with some headers and you will be happy. Take the rest of your money and have the transmission built with a patc kit so it will live.
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote