View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #308
Zach B

Re: 53 BURBAN barn find

I read that you could not find anything on the turn signals. That's probably because it never had them lol. 53 was the first year they were optional. I would look up when your state first required them. Chevy only offered them because a 3 states required them at that time and I don't remember which one. This little thing mounted on the colum with a lever switch you had to manually disengage. Your park lights where used as the front signals and your tail lights would have been used as the rear signals. Even though most people recommend them I never have. You are still required to signal though. You use your hand to do it. I don't drive much in the winter because you have to stick your hand out the window to do it legally. Often times when I signal people wave at me not knowing what I'm doing. Little advice if you want to avoid turn signals do not make the mirror any longer than it is. As for the carb that is specific to the engine it has. If it's the origanal engine it's a 216. Carter truck parts is about the best supplier of truck parts and tends to carry the best quality parts. There something about that engine that you should probably be aware of incase nobody has informed you. It's oiling system is a little abnormal. Is a splash system. Dippers pick up oil from the pan and splash the rods which carry oil to the head before running down the side of the block back into the pan only this time it's in a tube with nozzles for each piston which are sprayed like this. You turn to sharp and to fast and you risk burning something up but if you are carful it will be fine. Chevy made engines like this from 1937 to 1953. The only other engine I know of with this system (it's produced today) is minni coopers 4 cylinder. A common modification with origanalists is replacing the 216 with a 54 and up 235 to get away from the low pressure oiling system. With the factory rear end it's top speed is 45 mph though I was in one that did 55 going down a hill the whole time it sounded like it was going to blow up. Brakes were fixed after that.
Zach B is offline   Reply With Quote