View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
ricott

Re: 55 TF Stretched Cab/Fleetside/LSx/Trailblazer Frame

The “official” start of this build began today. I took off from work and went to my friend’s salvage yard where I have the large sheet metal parts for this project stored. The first order of business was to get the Trailblazer EXT frame and related goodies that I will be using for this build. The Trailblazer was low mileage (32k from the insurance papers) that was a rollover. I purchased the frame, floorpan and related items last summer, but wanted to wait for winter to begin stripping it. I hate wasps, snakes and spiders, all of which could be in something like this in warmer months, but with a high of around 40F today, it was not be a problem!

He pulled the trailblazer down the hill and moved it near my 55 pickup. I spent the rest of the day stripping the trailblazer. I then cut the floorpan at 70 inches back from the firewall, cut the “A” and “B” pillars, then pushed the roof and unneeded back section of the Trailblazer frame away. Sorry I failed to get a good picture of the “stripped” Trailblazer.

I am using the Trailblazer frame for this build because of all the modern components. This frame was made to accept the newest GM V8, has great brakes, steering and a 3:73 posi rear end. My wife has an Envoy Denali, and it is a great vehicle. While the frame on the 55 pickup appears to be very solid, the effort to update it will be substantially more time consuming and expensive (for me) than going the Trailblazer frame route.

Everyone have a great Christmas, and I hope to be back with my next update by New Year’s Day. Stay tuned, more to come!!!

Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote