View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #45
Russ.W.

Re: Finally caught a break NP440 / MY 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan70 View Post
Russ, this article says internals are the same.

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...n/viewall.html
Thanks mate. Good read.

I just got a reply back from Jamie Passon of Passon Performance. I asked him the same question.

Reason I asked is, Passon makes an actual OD gearset for the Mopar trans. Not a half effort like this factory version that requires the flipping of a rod etc, but an actual dedicated gearset they make to use as a replacement. They did it for guys with original Hemi cars that wanted an OD, but didn't want to lose their numbers trans or hack up their floor for something aftermarket.

It gives them approx. the same gearing as the A727 Torqueflite, plus an OD 4th - and much, much, stronger than the factory OD trans.

He's also developed a new 5 speed giving them their standard 4 back, plus an OD 5th gear. He's built it in a case almost identical the the A833, so for those guys it's a direct replacement. Same holes, same length, same splines, same shifter location. Nothing changes.

Doing some research and I was actually quite surprised no one has ever done this for the Chevy 4 speeds (m20, m21, etc). It's a no-brainer - creating proper OD internal gearsets that is - and considering there are a million more potential GM customers than Mopar customers - I'm very surprised some snazzy business minded folk within the GM community hasn't done it.

Here was Jamie's reply:

Quote:
The internals are the same. The input and output shaft have different splines and of course the case and tail are different

Are you referring to our 18 Spline OD gearset?

If so, you would need to bush 3rd gear on the mainshaft to make it work. Then there would be issues with the bearing retainer in the front. Our 18 Spline OD gearset is a larger diameter input. Therefore, it isn't going to work. You would have to have bearing retainer made custom. This is doable, just expensive.
Food for thought.

Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote