Thread: 49 ls1
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #173
solidaxel

Re: 49 ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymangs View Post
99, I'm going to put the bags in front of the axle, between the lower links and the frame. if I get them as close to centerline of the frame as possible, this should give me the most stability possible, while still maintaining tire clearance.

Jim, I think I understand what your asking... I actually used mason's line from about I foot behind the transmission (on a jackstand) an ran it to the rear end to keep my upper links in line (make sense?) I measured one side from the line on the axle tube to the backing plate, and mirrored the other side. Then marked both the axle and crossmembers along the mason's line. Quadruple checked everything, then checked once more for good measure. Then mocked up my upper links with square tubing and stands to hold them where I wanted them. I made my crossmember tabs first, and tacked them. Then re-measured and re-checked my alignment (probably 4 more times), then used posterboard to template the axle tabs. All my tabs were hand cut, and then sandwiched together in pairs for final grinding and drilling. That is probably about as clear as mud huh? To be honest, I am pretty sure I spent more time scratching my head trying to figure out the most full proof way to keep things square than I did building the damned thing.

But I can tell you that I can lift the rear of the frame over 4 feet high, and using a laser on a steel bar, verify that everything stays straight all the way up with absolutely no suspension bind
That operation will be next on my list of things to square up a four link.

Still trying to get a visual on the string line one foot behind the transmission?
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote