Thread: Garage builds
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 03:55 AM   #8
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Re: Garage builds

At the moment the roof is a mess, the front is slate, the rear is mostly old handmade clay tiles which have largely perished, theres a big patch on the bottom at the back which has been badly repaired with slate. There is currently nothing underneath the slates/tiles. Also all of the timber is either rotten or has woodworm. The ends of ther rafters on the rear wall have been eaten away by rats back when it was a cowshed to form a neat round run.

The plan is to take the roof off entirely, replace the purlins in the garage end with steels so I can take out the remains of an internal wall to open it up, repair the top of the rear wall, all new timbers and bigger ones at that as the rafters are currently only 3 x 2" so will be replaced with pressure treated 2 x 4 or 2 x 5's. We are also going to build a small dormer over the garage doors to raise the eaves height as they are only abou 6' at the monet and too low to get my truck in as the floor ramps up inside too. The roof will then be reslated the back done to match with new slate after felt (tar paper) first plus the addition of a couple of skylights to let some natural light in/ventilation. Eventually the floor will get dug out and replaced at that end too but it's all money. Materials alone for the roof are coming out at about £4K and as we apparently need £14K's worth of new windows in the house that ain't going to happen this year. This year I shall be picking up materials if I find them cheap and doing as much prep as I can. I have a gandg of friends/family rounded up to help when the time comes although it might cost me another £4K in beer and bacon.

I'd love to keep the brick floor but it's uneven and very damp so new concrete is the way it's going to have to go sadly.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote