View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #1262
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Thanks Phillip, I almost wish I had drilled the door for the mounting screws before I dropped the emblem off for plating. I think it’s going to look sharp and unique once the insert area has been painted.

Siggy, after trying numerous and mostly boring dash layouts, I thought it would add more character if I could add something that simulated the general shape of the stock 1960 GMC dash insert:

So while I was whittled up the steel back pan, my son fabricated the center panel out of aluminum. He was a machinist at the time with a lot of spare time available. He carved it up out of a chunk of aluminum on a mill with ball and end mill bits. Here’s what it looked like before assembly:

I added speed nuts around the perimeter of the sliced up original backing so I could easily remove the instrument cluster without scratching up the dash paint, which always happened when I tried pulling the steel original back pan.

I thought about having it chromed, but settled on satin black on top of wrinkle black to give it some visual separation. Thanks for asking, and good luck on whatever you decide to do with yours.

FYI if you’re interested, the other various cluster layouts I tried before this one are shown on the first two pages of my build thread.