View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
ryanroo

Re: 4x4 Suspension Questions

I will toss in my $.02

i agree that blocks in the rear are ok, i like to keep them less than 3" personally. if you go this route, i like to keep my eye on the rear u-bolts for a while. its good to check all of them at 250, 500 and 1000 miles after the lift, but blocks put a little extra leverage on the bolts, and i am a bit neurotic about it.

i have heard, with no personal experience, that the 52s on the front are really squishy. so i would keep a sway bar in mind if you don't already have one. for my own preference, i would just go with stock springs. or if you were swapping, maybe go with 73+ Rancho springs. i have a 2.5" set of them on my FSJ and they ride wonderfully compared with other brands i have had.

now, on to steering. i will be the naysayer here. since you established that you aren't an off roader, i would keep the stock push pull steering. especially if you go to the long and soft springs, but do not plan on crazy off roading. the reason being is the motion of the leaf spring and the steering match(ish) in the stock format. the push and pull of the steering is easily counter acted by the spring. with cross over the steering will always try to push the springs side to side. this effect will be worse with more arch or softer springs. you can feel it in the cab. i have crossover on my jeep and i spent a great deal of time and effort in getting the geometry as good as possible. it still has bumpsteer. it has a hydraulic assist ram now, but before that i could feel it pushing the axle under the truck at slow speed or when trying to turn the tires while still. the only way to eliminate this and bump steer from a cross over set up is with a well designed panhard. i have been planning that for my jeep in hope of giving the steering a better feel.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote