View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 12:57 AM   #11
NEWFISHER

Re: 65 Big Window Build / Retro Mod …...

Dubnova,
I started with a drum drum, manual truck and converted it to 4 wheel disc and powersteering. Thankfully it had a 700r4 in it or I would have immediately installed one. I have redesigned a later model seat that fits me better than the stocker. I drive over 70 miles round trip with a third of it in town and these all have to work together to produce a nice driving truck.

Those 4 things are the biggest changes for driveability. Power steering, disc brakes , gearing and comfort or seating position in a truck cab vs. Car.

As far as lowing, there are 2 ways to go. Bag it if you want to slam it or spindles, springs and blocks for a mild 5-6 inch drop that rides, looks and performs well. I bagged mine, but wanted to keep the stock bed floor. Its as low as you can get one without further heavy modifications and cost, but I spent triple what I could have to achieve nearly the same results static without the " pssssshhhhht----hey look, that truck has bags!" And after a few months, It becomes a nusance. I could pony up more than I spent on the hard parts and install a level ride one touch system for friendlier drivability or modify the arms and cut the bed up to drop it further or just keep driving the snot out of it. Not bashing bags, just saying for a reliable comfortable driver, ill go back to setting them up static. If I want to jaw drop the chicks on the boardwalk, ill cut the bed next time