View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #298
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Monday I had to go to Lake Norden, SD. New territory for me, never been there before. So there must be lots to see that I hadn't driven by a hundred times already. I spotted a few things on the way there, so on the trip home I had a few stops to make.

First was a welding shop by the highway right in that town, which had a few old cars/trucks out back. It was hard to tell in the snow but I think there were several frames for bikes/trikes/go-carts, etc out in the weeds too. Think thats a 57 chevy though.

The lumber store was right nearby and they had an old chevy painted up and parked out front to draw in customers...

Just east of town I spotted an old GMC grill in a farmyard, so I stopped there too. The property owner was a retired guy that has had a long infatuation with GM products and loved to talk about them. Turns out the GMC belongs to his grandson. They swapped a 454 into it last summer. And the have a rust free bed to put on it. Looks pretty good, but does have a few rusty spots. Nice driver for sure.

Behind the truck out in the snow was an impala SS I think.

There were a couple sheds/garages on the east side of the yard that had stuff parked behind them also. Like this square body and a 60 impala. He said the 60 had been restored several years ago. He let his son drive it once and he broke the exhaust and he parked it, then never got around to fixing it. He starts and drives all his old cars every year he said.

The weather has taken its toll on it though.

On the east side of another shed was a 64 Catalina 2 door.

The non-matching door and fender is the handy work of his son again. Drove it into a ditch the day he got his drivers license. This could have been 20 years ago, btw. This car is for sale if anyone is interested. I have more pics and the owners number. He wants $3500 for it. Was a 389 bored out to over 400 ci, 4 speed automatic, complete car. Needs work, but I've tackled worse jobs.

After looking at the stuff parked in the snow, the owner is yelling at me from the porch to go into the shed and look at his firebird. His pride and joy apparently...

In the corner of this shop was his lounge area with his diecast collection...

There was more stuff out in the field and next to another shed, but I was 150 miles from home and had more to see. He would've talked all day if I had let him, and if I had the time I just might have, but not that day.

I have a few more places to post up that I saw that day, but it's getting late. Maybe tomorrow. Something to do during the next blizzard.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote