Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 12:09 AM   #229
Vic1947

Re: Rat repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I'm still fighting that large high spot that starts at the body line and go's up about 3-4".. I have been able to move some metal and made some improvement but i want that large high spot out before i weld in the door, I'm half tempted to take a cutoff wheel and make a slit right into the center of the high spot in hopes it will lay down but kinda afraid i'll open up a can of worms (oil canning maybe?) that i don't want.

I'm to the point that if i had a patch panel in that area i'd probably go ahead and cut the area out and weld in the patch.
I wouldn't recommend cutting it at this point as there are other options. Since you have a stud welding gun, you already have a perfect tool for shrinking small to medium areas. I use mine with a shrinking tip to pull down crowned areas. I also use a shrinking disc for larger, heavily damaged areas, but from what I see in the photo, the stud gun would be best. Not sure if your gun came with the shrinking tip, but they are available from numerous online sources and probably your local auto refinish supply store.

Start by locating the highest part of the crowned area. You'll need to remove the paint so the gun can do it's job. With the shrinking tip inserted, start at the very center and heat a spot for 1-2 seconds then release the trigger and continue to hold the tip against the metal for several seconds. Move out about an inch and repeat at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock. If needed, move out another inch and repeat in a circular pattern. Some guys lay out a spiral pattern, but I prefer concentric circles. Some guys will tell you to cool the hot spots with a damp rag or compressed air, but the procedure works fine without it.

Like nearly all metal and body work, this can be technique sensitive. It is very easy to over-shrink a high spot. But you can always fix that with some draw pins and filler. High spots have to come down regardless if you want the panel right. Good luck!
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote