View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #119
bj383ss

Re: 64 C10 Stepside "Jaybird"

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY View Post
The frame came out really nice! I like the old pictures to!!!
Thanks T.J. I have more I'm going to upload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippinSaw View Post
Frame came out nice, good place for the first time spray gun.
By the time you start spraying blue you'll have it perfected
Lets hope that is how it goes. First shot of the black I knew something was wrong. The paint can said no reducing required. So I tried it. NOPE a bunch of orange peel. I stopped and put some reducer in it. I looked at the instructions online and it said to do 4:1:1. Not sure why the paint can said otherwise. Plus the kit came with the reducer. Anyways glad I figured that out. I have two guns. A regular siphon and then a HVLP. I used the siphon for the primer. I actually like it better. The black I used the HVLP which laid down smoother but it was hard to shoot the very bottom of the frame so at the end I had to switch to the siphon gun for the bottom of the rails as it worked much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Looks great. I remember that feeling of having the frame painted, and finally getting to work on a clean surface again, rather than something with 40 years of mud, oil, etc. Keep up the great work!
Thank you. Yes I do not know what I'm going to do when I don't have to spend 10 minutes of vacuuming after working on the truck for 5.

Yesterday and today I got about 5 hours of sandblasting in. I finished the crossmember and all 4 a-arms. I got them all primed. Plan to shoot them black tomorrow. And then the crossmember is going back in. If I can find some Grade 8 hardware for it. I went to 6 places and still don't have everything I need. I guess nobody uses Grade 8 anymore. Tractor Supply had a whole wall of it by the pound but nothing in 7/16" WTH. I got the nuts and washers at O'riellys. $22. Then I found 3 of the 1 1/2" bolts at ACE. Lowes carries the bolts also but they are out. I asked someone about it last week. He got his Iphone and it said they had 20 but no one could find. They said they would order more. Been a week I stopped by today they still don't have any. Oh well. I bought 3 1 1/4" see if they will work on the vertical holes.

Rant over here are some pic.

I made a quick rack to hang stuff from so I can do one spray.

I brought home all the steering components so I could mask them and get them primed. I used a trick I saw somewhere to use Vaseline to mask off paint. It worked pretty good. I like the anodized ends so I wanted to keep the detail instead of painting all of it.

Bret