View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
aotte1

Re: 1986 Chevy C10 SWB Step Side

SkinnyG,
Yes, moving the lower control arm forward 3/4 inch. Alignment person ( Joe)has worked at same Michelin tire shop for 35 years doing alignments, I have used them for 12 years, just a little background, that I believe he know how to do alignment requested if not factory spec.
Joe agreed that increasing caster was a good idea for wide front tires on old trucks like the 1986 C10. His thoughts were that, 4 or more degrees would be helpful in keeping truck from trying to follow every imperfection in road at highway speeds. He emphasized that having 4 degrees would help a lot. With slight negative caster also, he could make it drive nice by adjusting toe. He also asked how many rear shims it had before changes, because caster adjustment via shims is made by moving upper control arm out, and you run out of bolt length to do very much caster increase.

With all the changes I am making, Joe said I could adjust camber at home before bringing in for alignment with level on side of tire to get it a little negative. He also told me how to get truck tires sitting neutral for checking camber, role it back and forth several times.

Overall he thought it was a good thing to do, and changes in front spring alignment of 3/4 inch was no big deal.

Thinks that's pretty much what he said, will be few months before I report back on how it drives ( truck is in body shop .......limbo) actually thick truck is doing well, for all the quality work they are doing!! Taking their time to do it right, with a few other small jobs being done along the way, as needed for his business.
Les
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote