View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #18
skorpioskorpio

Re: Converting a k-5 4x4 to a 2wd

Well, when I ordered my stuff from Porterbuilt I was told orders were running 7 weeks, took 8 months and a lot of phone calls, for the most part messages were never answered, required luck of the draw. I ordered the whole deal, mild drop front, outboard coilover rear, all new tubular crossovers, with the intention that Delmo who is their guy in LA would do the setup. By the time I actually got everything, he was too backloged to do it, and eventually told me he didn't know if or when he would ever be able to do it.

As I said rear suspension was totally wrong, and when I look at what they did send me, I'm not sure they even sent that complete enough to work even if it was a 2wd frame. Anyway, so they resent the rear, and the bolt in notch is really too wide for the frame rail which makes me wonder if the overall width will be correct. Usable upper shock mounts never showed up (probably a couple dozen calls on that alone, always to be sent out "this week"). Core support cross member doesn't fit (frame horns are a half inch taller than the crossmember)and seems randomly drilled. As stated sent cross member for inboard shocks and trailing arms for outboard shocks. Front cross member is well made but does not take into account the flaring of the frame in that area and requires it to sandwich the frame between pieces that from the factory aren't flat. Trans mount is pretty light duty compared to everything else.

So now it's sitting on a fabrication table, there is going to be lots of rework needed. At least 2 of the tubular cross members will need to be refabed. I reduced the frame to rails assuming this would all just go together, which it's now looking to not be the case.

Now had I had it to do over again, I would have got a Scotts front which is pretty much a bolt on assembly, OR just bought one of No Limits complete ready to go frames, OR treat the frone and back seperately and commited to fabbing more or mix and matching parts from the 3 vendors. The prize of the Porterbuilt stuff is the trailing arm cross member and the trailing arms them selves. What this is going to cost me in the end I could have bought a full frame for the same amount from No Limit or a couple other vendors. Live and learn.

Oh and to top it off, no directions of any sort, and the little reference there was, their forum, has been taken down. So it's now kind of a random collection of parts that I hope turns into a chassis.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote