View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #129
bj383ss

Re: 64 C10 Stepside "Jaybird"

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaljess View Post
looking good keep up the good work
Thank You,

Been getting little things done here and there. I have soaked the headers in three different positions in my vat of rust eating vinegar. It is doing a great job. Only problem I am having is the flash rust immediately after I rinse them in water. I figured out if I air dry them completely with compressed air it helps tremendously. My plan is to lightly sand blast them and then get some paint on them.

First round of soaking. Forgot to take pics of them all finished. DOH

The driver header had some damage at one point and was repaired with some brazing. As long as it don't leak it will be fine.

I also soaked the front springs and engine pulleys. The springs came out with a black coating on them. Not sure what it is but it kept them from flash rusting.

I got these crazy formations from the springs

Today I tore down the rearend so I could start stripping it and get it ready for some black paint and put it back under the frame. It gave me hell from the start. The bolt that holds the pinion shaft twisted off. By shear luck I finally got it out. Then the springs from the drum brakes took a chunk out of one of my fingers and finally I bruised my palm taking off one of the backing plates. BUT I WON IN THE END!

Also I have been reading that the 64 rearends have a 17 spline but my axles were 30 so I guess it was switched out at one point.

Couple of pics of current garage status. I need to make a couple of parts orders before I can put the front suspension back together. Mainly bolts and all the bump stops. For now going to put the original drum brakes back on as Disc brakes is not in the budget right now.

Forgot to take a picture of the rearend all tor down.