View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
NastyBuzzard

Re: 1987 GMC V1500 Sierra Classic LS swap/build

Sounds good, I will try and track down a set. The 2001 truck I have, the original owner did have "true duals" put on. I cant find the brand name of the mufflers but I am going to try and re-use most of the exhaust pipe he had ran. It is only 2 1/4" pipe I think though. I have never ran anything that small so I am kind of worried but I feel like it will flow enough for what I am doing. He also didn't have any x-pipe or h-pipe either so I will add one of those.

I plan to swap everything over and after it is running I can drive it to a guy I know that has a mustang dyno and other software so I can delete egr, cats, and rear o2s as well as hopefully get it dyno tuned.

This truck will more or less be my truck I casually drive around town, tow some small stuff every once and a while, will rarely see the interstate but if I need to travel a long distance I want it to be dependable and get good mileage.

I am on the fence about swapping the rearend from the 2001, GMT800 body style over to my old 87. The 2001 has 3.73 gears w/ g80 locker but my 87 has 3.42 gears with an actual EATON posi unit. I just want to get the best MPG possible but still be able to tow if needed.

I haven't found any threads where someone has done the rearend swap from GMT800 to the 73-87 body style. I am sure it is just moving perches in about 2" on each side. I am also thinking about carrying over the leaf springs from the 2001 as well, I know I'd have to drill out a bunch of the rivets for my current spring mounts and move them out b/c of spring length difference, but I have heard that the longer springs provide a much better ride.
NastyBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote