View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #260
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Made some pretty decent headway:
- Power steering system ready to go. Once I get the front clip on and determine the location of the P.S. cooling, I can shorten lines and permanently mount it.
- Radiator fully plumbed. Plugged radiator pressure outlet to overflow tank (permanently) and relief tube at radiator cap (temporarily). Still don't own the cooling fan. Will buy an electric single or double fan that is less than 3.5" deep. The max coil area I am mounting to is 23-3/8" x 18-1/2". Will add a short loop to cap the heater hose locations at the block.
- Gas Pedal and T.A.C. (throttle actuator controller) have been sourced and are in place. Wiring them into the system not yet complete.
- Brakes are fully functional including e-brake. Still need to route the booster to intake manifold hose.
- Cab bolts, Seats, steering shaft/column and steering wheel are back in place.
- Wiring. PCM located on inner fender at radiator. TAC located just behind it on the inner fender (see photo). Will review the final wiring requirements then send off the PCM for re-flashing. Still have to sort out the minimum number of switches and relays required to make it driveable and install split loom.
- Engine compartment has been mocked up with battery, PCM, TAC, overflow tank, etc. Still may move battery to under bed location since I have heater hoses, AC hoses and P.S. hoses to route in and around the passenger firewall.
- Still need to determine where MAF sensor, tubing and air cleaner will go. Looks like enough room near the future radiator overflow.
- Trans cooling lines are in the garage and have yet to be bent. Bought straight metal 50" and 60" lines that are pre-flared and have fittings installed. With trusty new cheapo tubing bender from H.F., I will attempt to bend and install today. Mocked up first look at routing down the passenger side with coat hangers using the tubing bender to make the bends. I paid about $8 each of the lines so if I screw them up, it won't be too big of a hit. Will take one more look at routing them under the frame rather than over the shock tower this morning to keep engine compartment less cluttered.
- Transmission shifter and cable are not installed. Will take a look at this today. Should be pretty easy to screw down the shifter to the transmission hump and drill a hole for the cable. Future location may be more refined once I get the center console worked out.
- To keep from spending money on new fuel lines, with my tubing bender, I will attempt to bend the factory I-6 fuel lines so they line up with the 5.3 LM4 fuel rail. Remember, the I-6 lines are routed to the front top driver side of the engine. The 5.3 fuel rail feeds from the back of the engine at the firewall.

By the way, in the interest of having stuff NOT fall off on the first drive, I am systematically tightening everything I touch or install....then follow-up one more time to make sure I have not missed anything. It works...I found the hinge bolt nut for the brake pedal hanging by a couple of hand tightened bolt threads. Probably would not have fallen off but it is buried behind the cluster and may have gone un-noticed until it did fall off in a few years. The good news is that my buddy Jim will be over today for some adult supervision on Trans and Fuel line bending. dug
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote