View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Building a true 500hp SBC

Lets clarify,, 110 octane is open to inturprutation.
The ONLY octane were interested is MOTOR OCTANE

Find out the TRUE MOTOR octance of the fuel. Crap thats sold as 110 can be as low as 102 MOTOR octane and have a buttload of exageration in their 'label'

A fuel like VP - 12 is 108 motor octane, 110 research octane it will support a 13:1 motor spinning to 7500 EASILY

C-14 will take a 14:1 SBC into the 9000rpm range and above.
As RPM goes up so does the requirement for MOTOR OCTANE,, that research or R+M/2 is not applicable to our motors and the type of use.

Here's just a few examples of how wild the advertised octane BS can vary.
this will download a pdf with some examples of popular race fuels

If the 110 is E-45 or something like that,, we need to get someone like Shaun that is familiar with that fuel. It's a WHOLE different ball game than just race 'gas' with a 110 motor octane.

Next HEADS are where the power is made. PLAIN AND SIMPLE!
I suggest everyone pick a budget JUST for the heads,, then DOUBLE IT. Then you will have something you can grow in to as the need for faster faster faster hits you.

So what kind of a budget are we dealing with? If your starting from scratch,, and don't have a friend with a pile of used parts to offer for penneys on the dollar..... you can easily put something together in the 500HP range for around $5000,, but it won't be the most reliable parts out there. Add another 50% or so and you'll have something more tolerable of hard abuse.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 06-06-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote