Thread: 84 c10 stepside
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 05:41 AM   #136
jpnh

Re: 84 c10 stepside

got the braces/wood/bed strips /gas filler, back in(still gotta find the right bolts for the gas filler w/counter sink heads)gotta get all the bolts in there lined up with nuts washers/lockwashers on them. before you tighten anything up.cant bolt the bed down either gotta leave it so you can slide it back to get the row of bolts that line up with the crossmember would certainly be easier using a lift.i used some big ass washers with a small hole on the back of the carriage bolts that didnt line up with the braces. the ones that did line up with the braces needed flat washers with a smaller outside diameter to fit in between the u of the brace. they dont come with the bolts.getting good at balancing the 2 washers(the flat then the lock washer) and the nut in between two fingers and getting them up inside the brace and getting them on the bolt. i also used the old peice of paper in the deep well socket/small extension trick on a few the paper keeps the nut right at the end of the socket so you can start it on the bolt, i use my dolly.(the one for pounding out dents.)to sit on top of the bolts to keep them from popping out when you go to start the nuts on the bolts. unless you have a trained spider monkey that hangs out in the bed and pushes down on the bolt when it pops out as your trying to start the nuts.i coated all the bolts with anti-seize too,in case i have to take it back apart again.the stainless hardware is much better than the cheaper bolts.the cheap ones start rusting instantly.next i have to install the tail pan again.
Attached Images

jpnh is offline   Reply With Quote