View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #16
jocko

Re: Help with door adjustment after new door seal install

Update. I've adjusted both doors out as far as possible at the door side of the door hinge. Had to0 move the driver's side back in a bit because it looked absolutely ridiculous how far out it was sticking. The driver's door is a LITTLE easier to shut. Passenger side door is completely unsat with the hinge adjusted out all the way. I've armor-alled, adjusted every latch, every hinge, etc to the max extent. Done every truck mentioned above. The only thing left is the sun. if that doesn't work, I'm pretty screwed.

I've learned this much - although it's an easy job to do, I will never, ever replace the old seals again unless mine are pretty much missing. I get it how the seals are new, etc - but I can just about guarantee trucks wouldn't have been allowed to leave the assembly line like this. The friggin doors won't shut - would you buy a new truck with nonsense like that? I wouldn't either. So, hard to imagine that these parts are exact replicas if so many people are having trouble. There really shouldn't be a requirement to sit in the sun for 3 months for your new seals to work. Perhaps the rubber is more rigid nowadays, or perhaps this stuff is just plain too thick/too big. All I know is my perfectly shutting doors now shut like complete crap. Sharing for those that are on the fence about this job. This job is easy, but the results can be very frustrating - as you can see throughout this thread. If my seals were so-so, I'd leave em - that's just my 2 cents. So much for that nice, solid clunk and ease of shutting the doors on these old trucks in my case. Ever wonder why stuff doesn't just OCCASIONALLY just work for a change? Ha, the joy of tinkering. It's all in good fun. But what a pain.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote