View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #298
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Loaded up and headed to the muffler shop in the morning. I will initially have the muffler guy simply create a cross over pipe and connect to the existing single pipe two muffler system sans catalytic converters. Don't intend to have it too loud but, if too quiet, may remove one of the two mufflers.

Sorted out my steering rack leak. I did not properly install the peculiar seals when I installed the new lines. In short, push the new seals into the body of the rack and then push the new lines into the seals. The 8mm bolt will pull the flange with both lines in tight against the rack. See photo. The two lines are to the left. You can see the flange flat against the rack body. If it is not seated properly you can see it in the fact that the flange is not flat against the rack. If you try to put them on the lines first then push the entire assembly into the rack, the high pressure seal won't seat properly and will leak like you have never seen before. My second set of new seals cost $15 each ($20 list) at the dealer. By the way, the master cylinder/brake booster were removed which made it much easier to see. You work on it from under the vehicle and access it pretty good.

Brake booster was bad and so was my backup booster. Bought a new one for $113 and had to paint it. I now have proper brakes.
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote