View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #298
SCOTI

Re: My Luxurious late model truck (not so much)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Your words mean a lot to me. I simply can't afford to play on the same field that some of the heavy hitters do, but I try to make up for it with what I can do, free labor and attention to detail. Notice in none of my build threads over the years have you ever read the words "I'll come back and fix this later" or "this will do for now". I try to make everything 100% when I do it so I can turn the page and move on to the next thing without having to ever look back.

I still haven't dug into the volt gauge issue. There's some trees around the house here that finally p1ssed me off enough that I threw down my tools and picked up my chainsaw. Needless to say, I'm tired today. I think a man should be able to walk anywhere on his property and not have to duck under a low hanging tree.

The stereo thing stems from another vehicle I have. When I haul my daughters around I use my little Honda toaster. I mean, it really looks like a toaster without the bread sticking out of the top. Its a normal Honda with great gas mileage and all the reliability Honda built their name on. But one thing that stands out is the stereo. It has a killer stereo in it right from the factory. There's an amp and a subwoofer and a place to plug in my iPhone to port the music over. It makes driving the little car so much more enjoyable. Some mornings when I leave for work at 4am, there's nothing nicer than piling into that little car with its good windshield wipers, nice stereo, and quiet ride that makes me forget about old trucks. When the weather sucks or its frigid cold, I hate to start out the 24 hour work shift by making myself suffer by driving a beater. In that vein, I'm going heavy on the sound dampening and stereo on this project. I'd like it to turn out to be a truly pleasant 365 day per year driver. I know sometimes when I drive my 78 stepside to work that I just want to run it into a ditch and burn it and walk to work.

On that subject, while I didn't accomplish any 4x4 work today, I did get a delivery from Amazon. My little Kicker dash speakers came in. To recap, I now have Rockford Fosgate 4x6 in the rear pillar spots and Kicker 4x6 in the dash spots. No real reason for my choices other than finding close out deals on name brand stuff. I'm no audiophile so my choices are uneducated at best.
I did Kenwood 4x6 dash + rear pillar speakers; some 10" subs in generic truck boxes, & a 5-channel Kenwood amp. Works very well w/o being too much but could be better w/some interior (my 90 also has the bare cab). My plan is similar though. The next round of upgrades will target noise isolation & control for the interior surfaces/space.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote